- Lint-free cloth
- Mineral Spirits
- Rubber gloves
- Masking tape
- 3"-4" soft bristle brush
- ZAR™ Wood Stain
Step 1: Surface Preparation
- Lay jamb horizontally on saw horses or a table.
- Remove all the hardware and mask off anything you don't want stained.
- DO NOT SAND GRAINED PF FRAMES.
- Wipe the jamb with mineral spirits to clean any dust or residue from the surface. Allow jamb surface to dry completely before applying stain.
Step 2: Stain Application
Starting at the center of the jamb, stain one to two panels at a time. Apply stain with a 3" to 4" soft bristle brush, or rag. Apply enough stain to fill the jamb grain. (Refer to the jamb staining diagram.)
With a clean, lint-free 24 x 24 inch cloth, softly wipe the surface until you reach your desired tone. TIP: When the rag becomes saturated with stain, re-fold to work with a less-saturated section. Be sure to use the same rag for the whole jamb.
After all the stain is brushed evenly you may add finishing touches by using a small 1" to 2" brush or cotton swabs.
Second Coat (if desired)
Allow the jamb to dry for at least 48 hrs between coats. Repeat as above.
Step 3: Protective Top Coat
- After stain has completely dried (48 hours), mix the top coat well and apply evenly using a clean dry 2" soft bristle brush or 3" foam brush. Be sure to stop when the grain changes direction.
- Apply two or three coats of finish, allowing at least 24 hours of drying time between each application.
Even a well-finished PF Frame will be affected by exposure and weathering from sun, moisture, and air pollutants. It is considered normal maintenance to re-apply the topcoat approximately every two years.
Due to the variability in finishing materials, application conditions and techniques, all of which are beyond the control of Plastpro . Plastpro cannot be responsible for the performance of field applied finishes or individual application techniques.
*Staining instructions are for Oil-Based, Premium Quality Wood Stains or similar product designed for use on a fiberglass surface. Please note the instructions indicated are specific to the Zar brand stain included in our stain kit. Please reference stain manufacturers instructions before applying any stain.